Thread: Women Pilots
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2008, 18:01
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lady pilots...

We have a few here in Argentina.
xxx
Most of the ones who are married and have little children, elect to fly short haul, 737 or MD-80s and are not frequently on layovers away from home. Rosters are often made to favor them, such as getting weekends off, matching school holidays and vacation periods. We have a few flying long haul, but they either are single or with older kids.
xxx
The problem is the same as female flight attendants, no difference. Females are entitled to pregnancy and maternity leave. Both at AEP and EZE, we also have airport nurseries operating 24 hrs for children of airline employees up to age 6.
xxx
Just to mention, we have very few "pilot couples". I only know two who are married, husband/wife pilot team, but company policy would prohibit them to operate together as a crew. He is a 747 F/O and she is a 737 F/O. Easy to understand... imagine a domestic argument during an approach...! I like the only female F/O that I fly with occasionally, but hell, I would never date her nor marry her. When she goes out for a drink after a flight with the F/E and myself, all we talk about is airplanes. I personally dont think it is easy to be a "pilot married to a pilot" (nor to a flight attendant).
xxx
I dont think female pilots need "to be different kind of human beings" to have an airline career. My wife was a dancer with a tango troupe with worldwide tours, and was more often "on the road" and logged "more flying time" than my own flying. By chance we had her parents to take care of our kids. So dont tell me about being pilot and not being able to have a family...
xxx
Ladies, my best wishes to you. And some of we male pilot are real gentlemen...!

Happy contrails