PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2008, 16:16
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking about stands I was looking at the stop bars on the lead in at the gate we were using. No A 380. So I looked at some others and found one which included the 380. Then I realised that it effectively had 3 lead in lines. The primary had all sorts of stop bars (747, 757, 767, A319/320/321 and A380 from memory). Then, either side, two secondary lines with stop bars only for airbus narrow bodies. So it appears that when a 380 is not present two narrowbodies can occupy the same space.
As far as I remember, BAA calls (or called) this sort of arrangement MARS stands and I think there have been similar examples on some 747 stands at LHR for some while - whether they are still in use I don't know. And I can't remember what MARS stands for (Multiple Access R..... Stands?)

Manchester has a similar arrangement on most T2 pier served stands (which have been there since the terminal opened in 1993) and on the Apron outside the Cargo Terminal.

It makes sense to make the best available use of your concrete as the aircraft mix changes throughout the day.

Suzeman