PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Avro Greaser in LCY
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2008, 14:26
jackharr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earlier it was said
>BTW correct technique in the RJ is - crab in, point straight, wing down, flare.

I wouldn't disagree and that was more or less what we did on the 146.

However, earlier in my career, I was amazed to learn that the recommended technique on the C130 Hercules was to set up the wingdown/sideslip at around 600 feet on finals. It worked, but any combination of that and the 146 method is feasible - land on one set of mainwheels and then roll onto both sets.

One advantage of wingdown/land one side first is often overlooked. If the aircraft is not pointing QUITE straight at the moment of touchdown, the jar/judder is far less than if landing on both sets of mainwheels.

I spent large parts of my career as a QFI or training captain. On the Varsity, standard procedure was to kick-off drift; that often went wrong. I can say without hesitation that trainee pilots found the wing down method much much easier than kick-off on things like the Herc, 146 .

At one time, after experimenting with the Varsity, I impressed my Varsity Squadron Commander when I showed him wing-down. He asked me to submit a paper to Central Flying School outlining the advantages. Those who knew CFS in the 1960s/70s will be only too well aware that I was banging my head against the wall trying to persuade them that there might just be a better way than the CFS way!

Jack Harrison