PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Avro Greaser in LCY
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2008, 12:08
BarbiesBoyfriend

As a 5000 hour Barbie Jet pilot (or Embraer 145 as it's usually known), That crosswind landing at Leeds was textbook. The 145 must be landed 'flat' ie crab technique as the wingtip clearance is marginal. Correct technique is to crab in- point it straight with rudder and simultaneously apply opposite aileron to counteract the secondary effect of that rudder you just applied. At the same time, close the thrust levers and flare. The 145 is tricky to fly one days like this due to its general lack of speed stability and the fact that Vapp can be 139Kt and max speed with land flap is 145Kt.

The RJ100 on the other hand is a big pussycat in a crosswind and as a current London City pilot (and in a non-judgemental way for surely it could be me tomorrow-literally!) that Swiss landing was truly 'orrible to watch. I know it wasn't the a/c with the massive tail strike- but was it the same pilot!.

LCY approaches can be a bit fraught, but for sure the RJ is the 'weapon of choice' for this job.

I expect this Swiss RJ pilot learned something from this 'landing'. If not he should take up knitting.

BTW correct technique in the RJ is - crab in, point straight, wing down, flare.