PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OAT vs FTE
Thread: OAT vs FTE
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2008, 21:03
Adios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diamond Dog,

Perhaps the term "cadet" needs definition to make the point clearer. I hadn't realized it might be confusing since Ryanair refers to their new FOs in training as cadets. Otherwise, I didn't write that most guys who go to OAT and are placed don't pay for Type Ratings.

I use the term cadet to refer to those who were given conditional job offers before their OAT course started. The airlines involved are Thomas Cook, XL, FlyBe and NetJets. I don't think XL funds the Type Rating, but the other three do. This could account for up to 64 per year once the NetJets cadets finish and if all four companies keep the programmes going. Add in BA, BMI, FlyBe and DHL and the percentage that don't pay for type ratings starts getting sizable. I haven't been able to confirm yet, but I suspect Aer Lingus, Lufthansa, KLM and BA Citiflyer/Connect/whatever-they-call-it-this-month fund the Type Rating as well. This gets above 30% or so before the first NetJet cadet finishes and about 50% when NetJets are in full swing, which will show up partially in the 2008 and fully in the 2009 stats. It is correct to expect you may have to fund a TR, as even then 1 of 2 will need to fund their TR, but OAT is forthcoming on this possibility.

I agree FlyBe pay is low, but it's better than not having a job and it's better pay than a newbie FI could get after splashing out nearly £7-10K for the rating. Personally, I think flying turboprops would be very rewarding. I don't think many wannabes, including yourself, are in this just for the pay, so the real issue is can they survive and repay a loan, if they took one, on FlyBe pay until the bond is dusted? I can actually fathom more people answering yes to this question than I can to the alternative of surviving the cost of a TR and the first 500 hours at Ryanair with perhaps £800 plus in loan payments each month. For those who can survive the dues paying at Ryanair, pay gets quite good afterward and then there's the rapid unfreezing and the nearly new airplanes to enjoy. I guess it's horses for courses. Both are good because you get paid to fly, but one is easier up front, while the other is better longer term.