PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is ASIC killing off GA PPL?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2008, 17:43
Biggles_in_Oz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But Islander Jock, the ASIC is killing off GA.
I didn't renew my short-lived ASIC because I object to being assumed that I am a criminal and treated as such if I don't show an ASIC at a so-called 'security-controlled' airport.

My flying nowadays is a heck of a lot less than before, because the places that don't require an ASIC often don't have facilities (ie a loo, food and more importantly fuel).
So, I'm not renting aircaft as often, I'm not buying much fuel and I'm not paying much in landing fees.

I do understand the point of requiring an ASIC at places such as YMML or YSSY, but at Birdsville or Karumba where the biggest threat to RPT are the kangaroos and/or cockatoos ?
The tens of millions of $ spend on 'security' fencing, signposting, remote surveillence, roving inspectors and bueauracy has largely been wasted to serve political ends.

An ASIC is meaningless for GA.
I mean., just how much security checking is being done if an ASIC can be received, processed, produced and disbursed all in a matter of days ?
It obviously means that the spooks haven't enough time to talk to my neighbours, work collegues, friends, etc to background check me,
meaning that if I haven't already come to the attention of the authorities in some way, then the ASIC checks are just a simple trawl through existing historical (electronic) records.
ie. it is purely security 'theater' that was put in place to placate the masses by the previous administration and which is still enforced by the present one.
Look at the last ASIO report to Parliament, they did around 100000 ASIC and MSIC checks and barely found a handfull that required extra checking and none were actually refused.

I'm not saying that there should be no security checking, but lets spend the money and effort in areas that are not simply high-visibility and security-theatre oriented.