PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - There are jobs out there - it can be done.
Old 13th Feb 2008, 10:14
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are jobs out there - it can be done.

This forum can sometimes be a very gloomy place, and given the current economic outlook, the prophets of doom will probably get even louder. That is why I want to post something positive for a change.

I am 36, with just over 200 hours TT. Seven years after my trial lesson, and three months after finishing the IR, I have just been offered a job on a state of the art turboprop - without having to pay for a type rating.

To be honest I am still in a state of shock - it feels like all my birthdays, Christmases and winning the lottery - but when I get a chance I will post the full story of how I got from a starry-eyed zero-hours wannabe to my first job. My inspiration for this is Pilot Pete who did something similar a few years back, and whose story helped motivate me through some of the tougher times.

My reason for posting is not to gloat or try and impress anyone. I have been a wannabe for so long that it often felt like an impossible dream, and several times I have been close to giving up. I just want to make the point that it is possible, even at my age and (lack of) experience, to find a great job with a great company. If that helps someone else decide to stick at it and not abandon their dream, I will be very happy.

Keep the faith guys - put in the effort, don't give up and you will make it in the end.