PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colerne Airfield
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2008, 07:13
andrewscott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C130 Crash and other things

I was 10 in 1973 - I lived on the camp at RAF Colerne -I spent much of my time watching all the commings and goings on the site as it fascinated me especially the aircraft - I watched in 1973 a C130 from my school playing fields at the end of the runway - I saw it climb, very low (even lower than usual) the sound from the engines was differant - when the plane was directly in front of me it was low enough for me to see the pilot on the right hand side of the aircraft - it banked severely left and went down - the boom and resulting smoke was very shocking to me as a 10 year old....indeed many children spent the rest of the day in shock fearing that their fathers were aboard -
I saw many other ODD? events between the years I lived on the base - 1969 to Jan 1974.
I spent most of my time playing on and around the airfield with my friends- climbing the hangers and trying to open strange doors that seemed to lead underground - ones i had seen opened before when unusual people (in CIVIES) went in and out?
We (the RAF) entertained on the base on a very frequent occurance high level officials from ALL the services and indeed some that seemed to represent them but not actually be them - i.e in suites.

Does anyone out their have any questions I may be able to answer about things on the base - or indeed does anyone remember my father or know of him.....

He was always well known and liked - Flt Sgt (SCOTTIE) Scott
Always Scottie to his friends and everyone....

Last edited by andrewscott; 13th Feb 2008 at 13:05.