PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 13th Feb 2008, 00:56
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"How often has this happened before (momentary fuel starvation due to ice/slush somewhere in the system, with it getting 'washed out' seconds or maybe a minute later)?
It just never happened at 2nm out at 600ft....
Needed only two holes in the cheese to line up."

Forgive the uninvited views of a piston engine wallah but my understanding is that fuel temperature is kept above a minimum figure due to heat exchange with the hydraulic circuits routed through the tanks. As a consequence, any water present should not freeze but remain in suspension due to pump activity and eventually be injected into the engines. Wrong?

I think the question of quality control from refinery deliveries might be apposite.

And thanks BoeingMEL, I for one have been absent for quite some time so appreciate the chance to catch up with what has become an unusually interesting thread. Speculation often is fun and can be usefully informative; the problem arises with those who are unable distinguish between speculation and demonstrable fact. This is dangerous and tiresome. I'll now get back to pushing my broom . .

Last edited by Gipsy Queen; 13th Feb 2008 at 01:07.