PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of Aviation in India
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2008, 00:42
Nevrekar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately for some youngsters, it has become a sense of entitlement. As the article mentioned, not too many takers for the CFI positions. In fact many won't even consider the ATR! They want the electric jet. Partly because of the hype, it is something everyone now expects. Another good point mentioned is the FAA system of licensing. It is not actually set up for someone to jump to a sophisticated jet aircraft. In the past, the USA normally had a progression that was typically followed (not always, and not for military pilots either). After you got all your ratings and around 250-300 hrs if you were aspiring to be an airline pilot, you also began working on a college degree. Then this was the way you typically progressed:

1. CPL/IR/ME rating 250 hrs.
2. CFI/II/MEI Ratings.
3. Instructed for around 1-2 years--1500-2000 hrs.
4. Tried hard to get any kind of ME time or ME instructor time.
5. Tried hard to get a charter ME right seat job
6. ME time around 500 hrs minimum.
7. Started applying for first airline commuter/charter job (King Air-1900,ATR).
8. Worked at Commuter airline to obtain ME airline time. Tried to get command as soon as seniority permited (Anywhere from 2-8 years).
9. After obtaining PIC time there, either continued on that track or applied to major or national airlines. By that time you had 3,000-5000 hrs.
10. New Hire F/O at airline with above time. Upgrade at major airline anywhere from 3 years to 15 years!
11. There are some 15 year F/O's whose seniority number has yet to come!
12. In the 70's-80's for many command only came towards the end of their career, around age 50 plus. Deregulation changed all that.

It has been great for the gals/guys who have been hired here in the past 2-3 years. For most being hired at 21 or less, their future is quite secure assuming they can pass their medical and required checks. For others, it's going to be slim pickings and desperation, finally demanding a Govt. bailout.
Another solution that comes to mind--why not offer these candidates slots in the armed forces and cancel their loans for time served. They will get valuable experience, and serve their country. Not entirely a bad concept.
It will solve the unemployment issue in the short term.