PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Spain
Thread: Jobs in Spain
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2008, 22:18
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there

just a few remarks on one of the posts above:

If you are flying a Spanish a/c you will be automatically expected to converse with ATC in Spanish
Not true, at all. I fly EC-regs myself and I am not expected to speak Spanish on the R/T or elsewhere. I have also been noticing an increasing number of Spanish pilots (mostly commercial but also some PPLs) who do their R/T in English, which I find very commendable considering that said language is not otherwise widely spoken in that country.

Of course, this might vary depending on where you are. Have you (roger) trained in Madrid by any chance?

I know it's not ICAO but there you go!
Matter of fact it is "ICAO". See the many posts about the subject here on Pprune, or check ICAO Doc. 4444 and the relevant national AIP.

Some would argue thats bloody dangerous
Again, done to death here. For the record I'm with the majority on this one and prefer English only, thank you very much. But we digress.

As for the original question, a number of pilots flying for the national companies are definitely not Spanish, judging by their accents on the R/T. I would say by all means give it a try--they can only say no.