PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Flightpath Review
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2008, 19:17
sunday8pm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NATS Flightpath Review

Hi,

I'm a regular observer of this board, but I rarely post. I hope someone can perhaps shed a bit of light on some rumours that have been circulating in my local press.

I live in a village in Suffolk, just south of Bury St Edmunds. In nearby Sudbury aircraft noise has become a problem in recent years, due to the positioning of a holding stack named ABBOT, also used by Luton airport, above the town. Due to increased numbers of flights it is said that this holding stack is no longer sufficient. There are rumours that NATS is planning two new holding stacks in the East of England.

I have contacted the CAA. They said they have not yet recieved formal proposals and suggested that I contact NATS. I rang NATS and they said that 'yes' new proposals are likely to be announced shortly (by mid spring was a close as I could get them to disclose) and then passed to the CAA for approval. But until then could not reveal any details. Stories on airport specific news sites on the internet in the last twelve months indicate that at least one of these new 'holding stacks' is likely to be over central Suffolk. For planes waiting to land at London Stansted, Luton and even East Midlands - it has been mooted.

In one of the articles published in the Ipswich Evening Star, a journalist contacted the CAA with regard to aircraft noise in Suffolk present and future. He was told by the CAA spokesperson that "if you don't like aircraft noise, I wouldn't move to Suffolk."

My village, called Stanningfield, is 28 miles from the runway at Stansted. Am I right in thinking at this distance to landing the average passenger jet would be at around 8,000ft? They would therefore appear the eqivalent height of a 4cm wingspan plane drawn indoors at ceiling height from the floor in a regular room, assuming CDA are used.

If someone could pass their thoughts on these proposals, and the liklihood of them coming true I would be very grateful.

Sunday8pm

Last edited by sunday8pm; 13th Feb 2008 at 13:07.