PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2008, 17:21
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ancient Aviator

You do live in a closeted world. BOI's as submitted to the Convening Officer are not Holy Writ.

I can think of many BOI's where the President was told to take the BOI presented to the Convening Officer away and do it again properly. It is not unknown for Presidents of BOI's to be replaced and the Boards started again.

In my time in the RAF there was one Aircraft Accident for approximately every fortnight I served- and I was in for more than 31 years. A total of 764 accidents with fatalities running into hundreds.

Then there were the "Near Accidents" like the VC 10 full of passengers that missed America. I don't mean they missed the USA -they missed America -all of it. When finally located by USAF Air Defence radar they were over northern Greenland some 510 NM North of their planned track heading for the magnetic North Pole and locked into an almost imperceptable turn to the right at the rate of 24 degrees per hour.

The aim of a BOI is to find out what happened so that measures can be put in place to prevent it happening again. One must always remember, however, that no system is foolproof - fools are too ingenious.

Last edited by cazatou; 12th Feb 2008 at 19:42.