PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Such Thing As Crew Shortage - Only Lost Opportunities!
Old 12th Feb 2008, 06:22
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pprune; representative?

Amusedreader,
there are two points of view with regards to Pprune posters...1, they represent the majority, or 2, they represent the minority and should be ignored. I know which view most of the GC have.

I go on straw polling...I work on the principle that people I fly with and meet down route are a representative sample of what the majority are thinking. Based on that, and not what is said on Pprune, I have chosen to say certain things. I have received 1 email from someone that is very happy with the way things are...but then he is approaching 55 and on a base so I can see why he would like recent imposed changes!

So whether the majority or minority are represented by Pprune, lets look at the 'runs on the board' of past actions.

Over the last decade the biggest payrises have occurred/resulted from? our must industrial actions. I seem to remember the B scalers getting 5/4/3% in 1999 and 5%HDP in 2001. Since then we have co-operated extensively with management...in fact we had 3 proposals that had to be resubmitted to the membership since the membership gave the wrong vote on first go (49ers, housing, RP07). For some reason the DEFO vote was only given once...but then the company didn't really need our vote on unilaterally changing CoS for new joiners - same as 1993!

So, ignoring maths and hyperbole, which path has reaped the greatest reward? Two industrial actions (that cost 49jobs) and got 17% over 25months or 6 years of cooperation that got 3-5%?

The majority of pilots dont want industrial warfare, but they sure as hell don't want to stay in the canine position much longer!