PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bridlington in the 50s/60s?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2008, 00:28
MDJETFAN

Bdidlington

There was never an airfield at Bridlington, though the post-war small grass flying field at Speeton was sometimes referred to as such. Humberside Airport was a former Lancaster base (550 Sqdn), North Killingholme in WW2.

Prior to the Thors being base at Carnaby, it was sometimes used as a relief landing ground by Meteors of 203 AFS based at Driffield. Not widely known is that Blackburn Aircraft used it as a base for early development flying of the GAL 60 protoype Beverley. It arrived there on June 20, 1950 from Brough at the end of its maiden flight. The Blackburn-built HP88, an Attacker fuselage with scaled down Victor wings, made its first flight at Carnaby on June 21, 1951 and several subsequent flights before going to either Boscombe or Farnbro'; I can't remember which. I had the pleasure of witnessing both events as a keen spotter at the time.

Three Meteors crashed at Carnaby or close by. Later, (I have a photo somewhere) a Sabre of 92 Sqdn. force landed there after running out of fuel. At the time, the airfield was unmanned. Today, the site is an industrial area with nothing to see of its history.

The earliest connection with aviation at Bridlington was the arrival of a Blackburn Monoplane which landed on the beach below the Spa Royal Hall just prior to WW1. Photos do exist of this event.