PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thai Air B777 Melbourne NDB approach
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2008, 20:18
betterave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDAP Approaches

The ATSB report was an interesting read...

I can't speak for the B777, but at our company the use of VNAV on a CDAP approach is not allowed on the B763/752. If the non-precision approach is not in the FMC, we can overlay a precision approach (such as ILS for NDB if the tracks coincide with each other) to fly the approach in LAV. One pilot must, however, monitor the appropriate raw data from no later than the FAF to the MAP , and step-down fixes in the final approach segment must be verified with raw data.

Our procedure is to be in landing configuration by 2 NM prior to FAF; DA is MDA + 50'; after ALT CAP at FAF altitude, set TDZE in the MCP (rounded up to the next even 100'), at .2 NM to the FAF, selected the pre-briefed descent rate with V/S (we are allowed to bracket the pre-briefed descent rate by +/- 300 fpm, but a rate greater than 1200 fpm is not allowed) and use all available info to monitor the descent rate. Our techniques for monitoring involves: 1) the green arc should be approximately on the runway threshold (once TDZE is set in the MCP); 2) VDI on the HSI showing on profile; and 3) monitor Vertical Track Error on PROG page 2/2.

Admittedly NDB approaches are being removed from most airports in the US so the chance of flying one domestically is almost nil, but we still practice it during PC/PT just in case we encounter one internationally. We do fly other non-precision approaches occasionally (SAN LOC 27 comes into mind) and we usually brief it to death during cruise just because we don't fly one very often. Let's hope that we can learn from this incident and avoid a potential CFIT event in the future.

BTW, if I did the math correctly, the relief pilot started his B777 course with 594 hrs total flight experience! During the last hiring spree by our company, there were probationary pilots getting B744 and B777 F/O bids but even then our new-hires would have thousands of hours of flight time with at least 1000 hrs PIC. Now that our company is hiring again, I understand the new-hires are being restricted to B737 and A320 F/O assignments (even when the B763/752 fleet is very short of pilots) because management does not want "inexperienced" pilots flying internationally. I'm not saying that experienced pilots do not make mistakes (and of course there have been lots of screw ups by experienced crews in our company), but perhaps more flight time as actual pilot flying (as opposed to a relief pilot not touching the controls during T/O and landing) before being assigned as a large jet F/O would reduce the number of incidents/accidents.

Cheers.