PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air ambulance/ Police- winching/ onshore rescue
Old 11th Feb 2008, 10:25
Flaxton Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab – do you ever actually read anything anybody else posts before jumping on your keyboard?

Such tosh doesn’t really deserve a reply, but it’s quiet at the moment so I'll indulge you.

1. There still seems to be little actual (instead of perceived) requirement for this capability”

As you yourself have pointed out on many occasions, you don’t know the figures that this decision has been based on so you are not in a position to say.

2. None of the aircraft currently in use have the performance to winch in training nor the cabin capacity on ops

Wrong and wrong. As I pointed out in my last post our 902 is quite capable of achieving SSE for training purposes. As we are not planning on winching casualties up and into the cabin (not even LOOKING at it) the “lack of cabin capacity” is not an issue.

3. FF is deathly silent about his winching experience

I have the same amount of winch experience as you did before you went on your winching course. In the words of Douglas Bader – “I expect to be taught, Sir”.

But as you yourself said earlier :
“If you read what I have said, the pilot skills are almost irrelevant in this situation - if you can't hover then get out of the cockpit - it is the winch op training that will be vital”

4. A trustee from another AA charity thinks it is a pointless idea.

So that’s one trustee out of one of what, 23 charities then? A resounding “No” to AA winch ops there, eh? Well, not quite, as even this one voice didn’t say it was a pointless idea. What he actually said was :

“As I said in my earlier post, that doesn't mean I think fitting winches is necessarily a bad idea - just not one that we can justify in the short to medium term. I hope this clears up any confusion.”

So do I, but I doubt it. And –

“Our priorities are ensuring that our newest airbase becomes a 7 day a week operation, then the new generation helicopters. Fitting winches, and the necessary extra flying hours needed, are currently a long way down the list”

We have our airbase and our 7 day a week operation and our new generation aircraft. As you can see, we are a lot further down our particular list.

“5. The paramedics will probably still spend half their time on land ambulances and half on AA (watch the skill fade chaps)”

Which is why there will be a robust currency training regime in place.

“6. It will cost a small fortune to train the paramedics to the required standard and then keep them current (and more importantly proficient). And another small fortune to aquire and maintain the hoists”

I’m glad you at least acknowledge that we intend to properly train our crews. And of course you cannot have any idea how much the training will cost, or how it will be financed so you are not qualified to comment on that.

This is sounding like a really robust and well thought out exercise.
For the record, I have absolutely no objection to AA or police carrying out winching duties - I just want to see it done properly and so far this plan stinks.

So let’s look at this “stinky” plan.

Does the Charity have the desire and perceived need to implement a winch program?
YES.

Is the aircraft capable of training SSE as required under JAR?
YES

Will the training be done according to a CAA-approved training programme?
YES

Will the training program be devised and implemented by an external contractor highly experienced in winch training ops?
YES

Will this programme requires a robust currency regime?
YES

Will the programme be implemented in stages?
YES

Does the Charity have any say in the type or amount of training?
NO. The aircraft is owned by the Charity but run under the AOC of one of the longest established Emergency Services providers. (In fact probably one of the places you will be sniffing around when you get disbanded in 2012..)

So to sum up, the Charity have decided they want the winch capability, and they have the funds to pay for it. The AOC operator, with CAA approval, have engaged an external contractor to provide the specialized training. A staged training plan has been put together and approved, which will include robust currency requirements. The winch operations will be constantly monitored and if the charity are happy with the results, it will continue. If not, I have no doubt they will decide to terminate it and look at some other way of improving their service.

Please feel free to point out where this plan “stinks”. Any constructive criticism would be welcome.

Actually, I would rather you got yourselves a bigger helicopter so you can do all the interhospital transfers (ECMO and the like) that SAR helicopters get tasked for day and night.

There might be some mileage in that at a later date. But then, if we took all those jobs off you, would we really be getting value for our “tax dollars” from you?
Large helicopters are great out at sea or over the mountains, but not really suited to the urban environment where we are required to operate from time to time. And most Hospital LS come to that.

“For the record, I have absolutely no objection to AA or police carrying out winching duties - I just want to see it done properly”

Please…. Crab, If that was your true concern, you would be offering help and advice on how to do it safely and properly. Everybody knows you and what your agenda is, don’t try and pretend otherwise, it’s so……transparant.