PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are we really going with the IMC rating?
Old 10th Feb 2008, 23:14
FullyFlapped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose,

Since the start of this debate, I have wanted a clear understanding of the AOPA position. You say :-

AOPA fully support retention of the IMC rating in the UK. We believe that the work that AOPA, the CAA and PPLIR have been undertaking to bring the rating up to date should continue. AOPA will continue to lobby the appropriate people within government and EASA towards this aim. This will include trying to convince the Europeans that the IMC has great benefit to pilot safety. The AOPA philosophy is to 'keep our powder dry' when it comes to letter writing campaigns and involvement of MP's. There will be an election before all of this comes to a head and as such we prefer to continue to work existing channels.

We will continue to work with the regulator towards a more accessible IR.

We will not be trying to convert the IMC to a mini IR or try to get adopted as a European wide rating. We will continue to make representations towards having full and justifiable credit given to IMC holders towards an accessible IR.
So thanks for that. Now, will you please tell me how this position was arrived at ? Was it via a vote of members ? Because (as a member) I don't recall being asked about any of this ?

Apologies if you've covered this elsewhere !