PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are we really going with the IMC rating?
Old 10th Feb 2008, 21:37
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copy of my cross post reply

Please take this as a constructive post as I have been giving this some thought.

I take every post as constructive, unless past experience is inclined to make me wary. Yours are always constructive.

I do see you having an anti-AOPA position from all your posts questioning the work that has been done.
It depends what you mean by anti AOPA.

Yes I am anti AOPA on this issue because I dont agree with what has taken place - that is why I started this campaign. Before Christmas so far as the pilot community were concerned AOPA had been almost silent on this issue. If AOPA represents you and me I believe they have a responsibility to clearly tell us what they were proposing and why. I also believe they had a responsibility to conduct their surveys then. They attended the joint EASA CAA briefing as we did. So far as I am aware this is the very first meeting concerned with this issue on which they have written a detailed report. Sadly their report is as far removed from being an accurate account of what took place as to make one wonder if they were really at the same meeting.

I cant escape the evidence that it all appears to be too little too late at best.

I had a decision to make. Did I feel I trusted AOPA to represent me on this. It would have been a great deal simpler to say actually I dont care, but it seemed sufficiently important that I believe totally in our campaign and I believe another way had to be found.

So, your observation in isolation is accurate, but is it so wrong to point out that sometimes our representative bodies may have got it horribly wrong not for reasons of a silly vendetta but in the belief that if you do nothing the rating will be lost and we will all be the worse for that.

I know what I am told by AOPA members and others in emails. I know what has been written on AOPAs own forums by well respected members of our community such as Irv Lee.

The people involved in the UKIMC.org all have plenty better to do - I guarantee you, and they dont get paid, they dont get expenses, so you can guess we all feel some one needed to do something about protecting the IMC rating.

For example our expert web designer has spent all week end working on our new web site.

There's no reason why you and the rest of the ukimc.org team cannot continue working together, but why not do it with/under the auspices of AOPA.

I could not agree more.

I wrote to both Bose and AOPA expressing my wish that we co-operate.

I am afraid they (and I mean AOPA not necessarily Bose) saw things differently.