PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is ASIC killing off GA PPL?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2008, 20:30
Capt Mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing to consider is the number of flying schools who have shifted their focus to international CPL training. These schools neither take care of their local part time PPL students or are interested in that market anymore. Many dont even take care of their local CPL students.

As an instructor who has worked at both flying schools and a flying club, I would recommend that anyone who wants to do a PPL go to a club or one of the smaller schools that dont necessarily have the flashy marketing materials which often make false promises. A large percentage of my own students (PPL and CPL) have come to me from other schools, often dissatisfied with the level of customer service, quality of training, availability of aircraft or instructors (some booking up to 6 weeks in advance only to have the lesson cancelled) resulting in lack of continuity and many considering giving up because they havent enjoyed their training experience. And no wonder - doesn't sound like much fun to me!

So whats the answer? I dont know, but with this pilot shortage and the need for more CPL holders I doubt many people will notice the declining number of PPL students.

There'll be a decline in the number of PPL holders, but these people were never really after a PPL anyway - they just wanted the freedom to go flying and occasionally take a friend up
True - and I can see how RAAus is becoming a much more popular option for recreational pilots.

Mo