PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPRUNE has gone tech!
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2001, 17:32
Capt PPRuNe

Chief PPRuNe Pilot

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tcas Climb, there is a bug in the code that does the 'Who is On Line' that gets all confused when a record number of readers is registered in the hour before noon and if goes into time warp mode and assumes 11am is the same as 2300. Nothing I can do about that for the moment as it is not very high on the priority list. It's only a gimmick anyway.

Tilli, because this site costs me a lot of money to run and an even greater amount of my personal time I am constantly thinking up ways to generate the necessary income to keep it running and a free to use as possible. Some of you take great pleasure in using these forums and whilst I do not mind there are times when some people have a perception that PPRuNe is some big conglomorate or corporation with unlimited assets which it ain't!

PPRuNe is controled by me from my living room or whatever internet cafe I can get to when down route on a long haul trip. Together with a small band of likeminded friends who help to run things that is it. Because of the huge amount of traffic PPRuNe generates it takes an ever more powerful server to cope with the demands and these servers are not cheap and because the bandwidth is one of the most expensive parts of the system and PPRuNe is growing exponentially which means that the amount of bandwidth being used is growing at the same rate I need to source more funds all the time.

Advertising is one option but unless you want to be swamped with hundreds of ads I have to try and generate more income in the limited time I and my friends have to available in between our day jobs and other activities. I try selling PPRune badges and will also include other merchandise in the future.

So, to the point... I have set the system up to apply a ranking system based on the number of posts someone makes. Obviously there are some people who are only interested in racking up a high post count, the content of which is not even worth reading (although there are some who are extremely witty and enjoyable to read too). Occasionally, I play around with these peoples egos by changing the wording as you have seen of late and you can follow the threads about it on Jet Blast.

Because people like you either have no desire for a ranking or a personal title then I can remove it but it takes time and effort and as far as i am concerned if you can afford it why shouldn't you pay a small sum of money to help keep PPRuNe running? If you do not want anything in your title then I think US$10 is a fair amount.

I know I said £10 originally but the system I have chosen to collect money only works in US$ at the moment and if you want to pay me £10 instead of US$10 then I would be more than grateful. If you would rather have a title of engrandement then you can have that too but because it takes even more time to do allthe html stuff I charge seperately for each word andstyle option.

The choice is yours. Put up with my whimsical changes to the default title under your username or pay for a personalised one or to have it removed totally. You will need to go to a special page I have set up but not advertised properly yet because I am still testing it but if you want to have a look and try it out then CLICK HERE. You are not obliged to do anything and you can cancel at any stage.

I hope this clears up any questions you may have about my reasoning behind the use of titles.