PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air ambulance/ Police- winching/ onshore rescue
Old 10th Feb 2008, 19:51
[email protected]

Received 657 Likes on 290 Posts
So, apart from:

1. There still seems to be little actual (instead of perceived) requirement for this capability.

2. None of the aircraft currently in use have the performance to winch in training nor the cabin capacity on ops.

3. FF is deathly silent about his winching experience

4. A trustee from another AA charity thinks it is a pointless idea.

5. The paramedics will probably still spend half their time on land ambulances and half on AA (watch the skill fade chaps)

and 6. It will cost a small fortune to train the paramedics to the required standard and then keep them current (and more importantly proficient). And another small fortune to aquire and maintain the hoists.

This is sounding like a really robust and well thought out exercise.

For the record, I have absolutely no objection to AA or police carrying out winching duties - I just want to see it done properly and so far this plan stinks.

Actually, I would rather you got yourselves a bigger helicopter so you can do all the interhospital transfers (ECMO and the like) that SAR helicopters get tasked for day and night.

Or feel free to join in a multi aircraft Op like Gloucester in a 250' cloud base at night - come on down it's easy.........