PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bridlington in the 50s/60s?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2008, 19:36
MDJETFAN

RAF Bridlington

My now deceased Father in Law served on 1104 MCU in the early 1930s and met and married my wife's mother while based there. He was there during the time of A/C Shaw and the family still has a photo of Shaw with his motorcycle in their back yard.

The primarly reason the MCU was based at Brid initially, was not ASR, but they were equipped with armoured launches which were bombed by a/c operating from Catfoss.

During WW2, ASR duties were added. Post WW2, in addition to its continued commitment to ASR duties, it was responsible for patrolling off shore at Skipsea to keep fishing boats clear of the firing range on the cliff top. At that time, my Dad worked at the range and, during school holidays, I would accompany him to watch the gunnery and rocket firing from aircraft usually coming from Leconfield. Later, in the 1950s, as a member of the ROC at Brid, I was often invited by the lads at the MCU to go on patrol with them. The unit also worked closely with the local RNLI in rescuing civilians.

The unit had a quite large hangar with a big boat ramp. The hangar was subsequently converted to a small hotel. During WW2, the HQ was located in what is now the Royal Yorkshire Yacht Club's facilities overlooking the harbour and most airmen were billeted in a boarding house next door on Windsor Crescent.