PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPRUNE has gone tech!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 20:56
Capt PPRuNe

Chief PPRuNe Pilot

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PPRuNe has definitely not gone tech. The server loads you see are real and between 0700z and 1800z the server registers a load average of around 30.0 to 40.0. Consider that a normal server load would be around 1.0 or 2.0 you can see how busy it is.

For those of you who want to see how busy the site is there are some stats, updated daily if you CLICK HERE. The server is sending and receiving an average of 85,000 bytes a second on average during any 24 hour period and runs at around 100 bytes a second during the busy period with peaks up around 170 bytes per second. Tust me, that is busy!

Because I have to start considering upgrading the server from its present dual PIII processor to a quad processor machine I have to find as many different funding sources as possible and banner advertising is just one of them. Because of the popularity of the site many people would like to have a personalised title under their Username when they make a post, similar to mine on the left here so I have set up a system where they can choose one and I will charge for the service with all profit going back into running PPRuNe.

If you are interested in having your own Personalised Title a la DVLA* cherished registrations just CLICK HERE. There are few threads running on the topic over in Jet Blast at the moment and the reason current titles change is explained in those threads. PPRuNe Funding & PayPal, PPRuNe Targetcounts.

*For anyone not from the UK, the DVLA is the agency that issues car registration numbers and for many years now they have been charging if people want personalised numbers. It has been extremely successful in generating revenue for hte government and I though I'd try the same idea here to generate much needed funds to keep PPRuNe running as smoothly as possible and not becoming a victim of its success

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: Capt PPRuNe ]