PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - World shortage of rotary pilots
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2008, 15:50
Bravo73

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by malc4d
BUT ... turbine time is impossible to pay for, ( yup no rich dad for me ). So tell all us lowly low timers how to get that first job, point us in the right direction please.
From a previous post by me:

Originally Posted by Bravo73
One suggestion - try and find work with an AOC operator/Flying School who operate twins. Although they will obviously have IR pilots on the books, there is still plenty of twin AOC work which is VFR. Do a deal with them on your initial twin rating and then start 'building' your twin time that way. After a few hundred hours on type, an IR is the next logical step.

IIRC, Cabair recently type-rated a number of SE FIs on the AS355 due to a pilot shortage.

Originally Posted by malc4d

Ps. is there such a thing as F/O training as in fixed wing. You know, watch how its done in the real flying world for while from the left/ right seat ?
Yes, but you'll need that IR first. This is in essence how the NS operators operate when they hire a 200hr CPL/IR(H).

And it's not just the offshore operators who do this. See my post (#10) above for more details. (I'm not allowed to post a direct link to the job ad, I'm afraid. Advertising rules etc.)