PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air ambulance/ Police- winching/ onshore rescue
Old 10th Feb 2008, 08:42
FiveSevenAlpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackjack

You missed out the word "not" from my quote, which makes quite a difference I think you'll agree.

I'm not a HEMS pilot - merely a lapsed PPL(H) - but I am a Trustee of one of the AA charities. Together with my colleagues, I'm responsible for the financial side of the charity and, as I mentioned, the argument for fitting our aircraft with winches isn't one I could currently support. I have limited experience of SAR operations and am well aware that AA winch operations wouldn't involve nights or decks, for example, but there would still be a need for a NOT insignificant number of hours spent ensuring all the paramedics were current at both ends of the winch. That's money that could be used in other areas of the operation.

Russell

You're absolutely correct in that AA helicopters have been operating in the UK for 20+ years. The charity with which I'm involved, however, is one of the newest, having only been formed in 2000. We currently operate 3 helicopters - all Bolkow 105s, which will need to be upgraded to new generation aircraft within the next few years. We're in the fortunate position of not having experienced the kind of funding issues that have haunted some of the other AA charities, but that doesn't mean we can be complacent.

Our priorities are ensuring that our newest airbase becomes a 7 day a week operation, then the new generation helicopters. Fitting winches, and the necessary extra flying hours needed, are currently a long way down the list.

As I said in my earlier post, that doesn't mean I think fitting winches is necessarily a bad idea - just not one that we can justify in the short to medium term. I hope this clears up any confusion.

57A