PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERTs and Wokkas in Afghan
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2008, 22:42
KeyPilot

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Indeed thanks to airsound (Sean?) for bringing everyone's attention to this. I did see the Channel 4 piece, I was very busy and only had it on in the background but stopped what I was doing and was spellbound.

As has been said, Channel 4 News is much the best evening news programme and has a long history of showing military stories in some detail and without the irritating and damaging BBC and ITV habit of reducing everything to "joe public" friendly soundbites. They have indeed pursued the Mull of Kintyre injustice, but I am surprised that no-one has yet mentioned that Alex Thomson created something of a legal precedent when he refused to be forced to reveal his (ex-Para) sources to the Bloody Sunday enquiry, taking it all the way to the high court and winning. Oh and Krishnan Guru-Murthy wanted to be a wokka pilot before be got into the media (honestly - I know him personally).

Channel 4 News is a professional, detailed, insightful and (surpisingly given Jon Snow's famous left-leaning) military-friendly news programme. I commend it to everyone.

And - of course - well done to all the MERT chaps and chapesses from the medics to the pilots to the gunners - you guys demonstrate the very finest of the British military spirit - low key, professional, EFFECTIVE.

KP