PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thai Air B777 Melbourne NDB approach
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2008, 19:28
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PP
When I fly an non-precision approach I write out check altitudes for every DME mile on a bit of paper (someone mentioned that a couple were omitted on this approach chart, which indeed they are), especially when all I am offered is a platform and a marker crossing altitude. I get the other pilot to check these in the cruise to look for errors.

Agree entirely; into critical places like KTM, used to write the numbers on my crib in extra large font, especially at night, eyes/glasses not being what they used to be. I wonder how many people know/remember what happened to PIA A 310 landing there some years back; one step adrift on the profile calls and flew into the hill on finals.

Re: Tailwinds on finals; love to brief it in the cruise, and usually do as a "contingency", but to quote erstwhile defence secretary Rumsfeld, it is one of those "unknowables" that are thrown at you, usually as you are turned from base onto finals just outside the outer marker. AMS are just as guilty as the guys at MAA! But can we blame them? Surface winds reported as light and variable can be a moveable feast when compared to winds at platform height.