PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ok, I'm seriously worried now.. DOWNTURN
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2008, 07:27
wangus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Qualified

The decision to go down this road is a very difficult and serious one. I decided five years ago to go for it, at the modular pace, as I was nearly laughed out the door by the HSBC bank manager in Redhill. Last week I passed my Multi IR in the UK, having funded the whole thing while working full time, with 2 periods of unpaid leave thrown in. My partner (wife to be) was always very supportive, but did grow tired of the process and very occasionally reminded me of the sacrifices she was was making as well. Passing the multi Ir at Bournemouth filled me with joy for about 2 days, and picking up licence with Rating from CAA three hours after I dropped it off was icing on cake. THEN the reality began to sink in. All the contacts I have made in the industry (numerous) so far are saying if you want to walk into an airline job, consider a type rating. (this old debate) Opinionless. I simply cannot afford a type rating. I have been investigating the air taxi option as I would happily do that. I would position post-maintenance singles/twins back to base. Aerial photography. Pleasure flights. Volunteering to be a safety pilot. Pilot's assistant. I did start my PPL with visions of sitting in a 757 a couple of years later. Most of us do I presume, and a few of us do land those positions. I suppose all I am saying is, yes, go for it. You only live once. Better to regret the things you do than the things you didn't do. But be under no illusions about the potential delays, massive increases in predicted costs, stress to partner, loss of income, and desperate feeling I am feeling at moment wondering where to find that first lucky break.