PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Main reason for accidents?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2008, 19:25
AndrewTaylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main Reasons for accidents.....

As a fairly low (350) hourage pilot who managed (thank God!) to survive a 22 crash with "only" a broken pelvis, pubic bone and three ribs, I would say this:

The ground school and understanding of 'the principals of flight' etc. is as important (if not MORE important) than initally the actual flying. Alot of flying schools are happy to take your money, get you up in the air, then fix you up with the fancy student "flight bag" full of books and say INITIALLY, "get on and read them!". YOU NEED "BOARD WORK" before and after every flight!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "main reason for accidents...", I feel (as a guy who got his license 2 years ago) is PPLs with little real (true) understanding of the limitations of the heliciopters they choose to train in, and how those limitations then change so so much depending on other factors such as weather etc. etc. etc.

My Instructor once said to me....... when you get your Private Pilots License, you are then Licensed to kill yourself!!!!!

There is no greater feeling in the world than flying helicopters, enjoy your training, don't set an objective to try and get thru in the minimum number of hours, get thru when YOU are comfortable with all the professional instruction and training received enabling you to pass your test and exams.......and, fly safe!

Enjoy.