PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To start for a pilot at 36? does it make sense?
Old 8th Feb 2008, 10:49
Bearing 123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very well said GIBR.

There are jobs out there that don't have Boeing or Airbus in the title that are fantastic.

Unfortunately too many people get fixated on this so called airline career. The fact of the matter is that most people go into this to fly and get paid. It doesn't get any better than that.
I fly in the corporate sector I know from personal experience, that I would rather be a chauffeur then a bus driver any day, but that is my personal preference. Grab anything that's on offer job wise and then have a look at your options. It's a lot easier choosing what you want to do whilst flying, earning and gaining experience.

Get a Class 1 Medical, Get your PPL, Build your hours, Sit and pass your ATPL writtens and then take a step back. The above should use up a good 12 months, take a minimum of investment and who knows where we'll be then, market wise. It will enable you to get a feel for the industry, get to know like minded people and make a more informed decision before investing the really big money on a CPL/MEIR/MCC.

Also just one last point, don't spend time agonizing over Integrated or Modular. There is no difference apart from financially. Yes there are those who at 20 went integrated and ended up getting jobs with <200 hrs, but there are also Modular people who did the same. At your age, you will come out at the end with exactly the same licence as everybody else. From there its all about experience and personality and a huge chunk of luck.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck mate