PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are we really going with the IMC rating?
Old 7th Feb 2008, 19:24
poss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is beyond me as to why some pilots would deny themselves access to a poor mans instrument rating that has clearly been of great aid to private pilots that have this rating. It rises situational awareness and gives you a special get out of trouble card. The skills taught in the IMC rating are definitely very valuable and I know a couple of pilots that have used this rating to its full to act appropriate and safely in fast weather changing conditions. I know from a recent airfield meeting that the rating is safe for pilots that already have it for another 4 years, in which they will be allowed to practise the privileges of the rating but past that is deemed uncertain (information from the CAA). My flying club will still offer the IMC course after this point, even if it isn't a recognised rating, as they feel it is a great assest to a pilots skills/knowledge.
Perhaps people in these other countries, as someone has previously said, just don't understand what the IMC rating is nor what it can do for safe flying. Clearly EASA have safety in mind if they wish to bring in that French basic PPL were students can take passengers up at 20hours!! (where is the logic in this I ask you!?)
I've signed the petition and have forwarded it onto everyone I know.