PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2008, 18:39
zvezda

Hi.
Yes, I actually visited Valencia APP and Alicante TWR. I think the procedures are actually the same (though with much less traffic to manage), but the thing is that if I'm gonna be an ATC in UK, I should know the facilities there. The Spanish ATC facilities may be considered just as an anecdote, instead of a practical thing for the job in UK. Anyway thanks a lot for pointing that out.
Just as a curiosity, I tell you that ATC in Spain makes comm in Spanish, which may result in a lack of info towards those pilots who don't speak Spanish. I think that happens everywhere in Europe, in countries in which English is not the first language. And don't try to convince Spanish ATC or pilots to speak English all the time, because they will go on a strike!And also, that there were 8000 people just for 150 vacancy.
In my experience, the only advice I will give is to be oneself. Just as one is. Honest. And above all, be relaxed.
I remember the first time I did ATC exams in Spain. I was so centered in passing those tests, that I was more focused in which I thought they were expecting from me, that the actual way I would have done things. BIG MISTAKE. In the second stage at NATS, during that rough test with numbers floating by while doing additions and math ops, I began to laugh, just to see how bad I was doing it. I focused in the numbers, not letting them to crash against each other, and practically forgot about the maths. What's better? to let airplanes crash or to make some maths?... Then I noticed I had passed. And it was because I was calm. Sure.

Last edited by zvezda; 7th Feb 2008 at 19:19.