PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminalisation of Accidents
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2008, 12:27
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem that we have here is the fundamental use of tools whose sole purpose is to learn and to prevent accidents (black box recorders and/or forensic analysis ) being usurped by criminal probes and thus taken out of the hands of the crash investigators.

Personaly I would rather await the decoding and analysis of the data before handing it over to a criminal investigation. And then only under defined aviation law of what constitutes criminal negligence in the operation of a flight for hire.

In the case of suspected simple or compound negligence then I would prefer that no interference with the investigation until after it has been fully completed (I'll admit that there needs to be a definition of what fully completed means)

I'm kind of hoping that defined aviation law in my imaginary image doesn't assign criminality to a pilot having a mental block that day on a specific flight but does have to consider past history.

I'll support the interests and expertise of the Flight Safety Foundation in this subject to sort out a better compromise