PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 7th Feb 2008, 09:26
lostpianoplayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windy days in Robinson's finest...

Hmmm. Well, everyone has opinions, so mebbe this'll be all controversial and stuff, but...

R22 is apparently different to the 44. I'm told the 22 actually handles better in turbulence, f'rinstance. (Shorter blades). My time is all in the 22, so I can only answer the 22 part of the question. First answer from most people, of course, would be look in the manual - Mr Robinson lays it out pretty comprehensively. In my opinion, the limitations there are bang on, if not on the high side, for lower time 22 pilots. Second answer, as usual in all aviation, is "it depends". No simple answers here - flying in or near mountains? Or on a big flat plain? We talking about wind on the ground, or up high? Weight? Density altitude? All sorts of things to consider....with all the caveats in place, and bearing in mind I'm talking ONLY about you have a few hours up, though, I'll guestimate for you...

What wind strength/conditions would make you feel 'nervous'.

Personally, I've flown in up to 50 knots up high, say 30 on the ground, no worries. BUT BUT BUT - my instructor, who's very experienced, told me that was pushing it, and now I usually stay on the ground at 40 (up high) and above. Wind on the ground? I guess I'm pretty comfortable with, say, 30 knots...but gust spread would also be a very big factor. For what it's worth, when I was flying, in the mountains, in bad WX, in 50 knots, I was happy enough, but getting bumped all over the place, with pitch and roll excursions that wouldn't be comfortable for passengers. Crucial issue in a 22, of course, is mast bumping/zero G, so I tend to use reduced power settings (minimises roll in zero G) and also accept a certain amount of "where the wind takes me is where I go". I think of it as similar to white water kayaking in a strong current - you don't have total control as to your route, really - in the mountains, anyway. The stronger the wind, the more updrafts, and where there are updrafts, there be downdrafts. You certainly need to be confident with predicting what the wind is actually going to DO, when it hits big lumps of rock, before you go anywhere near said lumps of rock in high winds.

What wind strength/conditions would you decide to cancel or even scrub your flight.

Cancel v scrub - synonyms? Again, it depends. At higher density altitudes, higher weights, 40 knots is my usual limit, and sometimes much lower. There are some conditions where 20 knots could get you hurt, or at best embarrassed. Depends on the mission. High DA's (eg a lot of Western US flying) means that reduced performance is a huge issue, and it may not take too much for downdraft to be greater than aircraft performance. If nothing else, I always consider fuel load in situations like this. Again, for me, the main issue is what the wind does when it hits bits of rock - downdrafts and so on. Of course, you could technically fly perfectly comfortably in 200 knots (not including landing & T/O of course) if it was a smooth flow over flat ground. Down our way, there's not much flat ground though.

What wind strength would you worry about starting/stopping (blade sailing)

Anything substantial - 20 knots would have me thinking. I don't understand blade sailing as well as I would like to. I just ensure the controls are positioned so the front blade is as low as poss, which means the back one will be high....I hope I have that right?

In any wind conditions, anything at all, I also think hard about downwind operations. Often I treat my 22 as a "one way" machine - I'll ONLY fly into wind, until I'm at least 1000 feet off the ground. This means no downwind pedal turns to get to the gas pumps, or whatever...and this could be as low as 5 knots. Again, "it depends".

I have to stress - these are my PERSONAL limitations, and I cannot recommend that anyone else follow my advice. In fact, this isn't advice - just answering the question about what I do, myself. If in doubt, look in the manual, and treat that as an upper limit...and never be shy about asking an instructor to go up with you in real wind conditions and see what it's like...presuming, of course, that the instructor is experienced and competent. I've often thought there's too much of a gap between instruction (usually on good days) and real world ops for private owners. Proper comprehensive training, of course, could close that gap...