PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are we really going with the IMC rating?
Old 7th Feb 2008, 08:55
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One voice !

There is nothing that a goverment department likes more that an industry that speaks with more than one voice, they use this as an excuse to do nothing by saying that they are getting mixed messages from the industry.

So what ever happens if the IMCr is to be saved then ALL of UK GA must speak with one voice on the subject.

Personaly I think that the IMC is doomed because a "not invented here" attitude seems to persist in EASAland but as a tool to get a Europe wide class two IR the current campaign is in the forefront of putting pressure on EASA to act on this issue that they want to leave on the back burner.

The work that is being done to save the IMCr has my full support and I will be writing to my MEP but the thrust of my letter will be to in effect extend the IMCr to the whole of Europe, on safety grounds alone this is a good idea but I know that to sell it to the other states in Europe the name will have to change.

What I do find baffeling is the attitude of the European commercial pilots association, the safety issues are clear but still they stick to an intreched position dispite the evidence, unfortunatly this attitude is not suprizing to me at the moment in the UK motorcycle groups are campaigning to use bus lanes on safety grounds, reseach has shown a dramatic drop in accidents (45% drop in motorcycle /pedelcycle accidents) and yet it is the pedel cycle groups that are strongest opponents of motorcycles using bus lanes.

The only way to deal with groups with intrenched veiws is to keep using good reseach data and eventualy there position will become untenable.

Last edited by A and C; 7th Feb 2008 at 09:27.