PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attempting NZ 'B' Cat "On the Mins"
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2008, 07:24
nike

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FFS!!!

I did mine 10+ years ago sorry, but I guess in an attempt to move this thread away from the dictionary twats, a couple of points that may or may not be of any use to you....

The B Cat ticket is best looked upon as say, completing your apprenticeship. That is to say if you approach the flight test with a good understanding of what holding a B cat rating will allow you to do, i.e. responsibilities etc; then being slightly deficient in the P of F and tech knowledge areas may be overlooked.

Concepts of being a supervisor to junior instructors, mentoring, the ability to hold a CFI position, sending people solo, CPL cross-country flight tests, and most importantly of all, having an excellent teaching technique which you have have developed during your time as a C Cat are really what they're looking for.

Having now experienced training at an international airline I have to say that the better instructors (training captains) are those with the right attitude towards the task, that being parting of knowledge, and the ability to pass the message efficiently - a skill in itself.

What I am suggesting, as you mention you are pretty much on bare minimums, is to spend as much time as possible honing your skills at patter and briefing technique over endless hours of P of F study. The ability to demonstrate the flying techniques to a very high standard is obviously a must and really goes without saying, but its one thing to complete a flawless max-rate if you can't explain how you did it.

The point being is to prove to the FTO that you are ready and no further experience needs to be gained in order to hold the B Cat ticket - a slightly different concept possibly to previous flight tests in the sense that this is about demonstrating experience through mainly dialogue versus pure flying skills.

All the best.