PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Labor’s Class C radar policy
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2008, 01:25
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
Thank you Tren and Rack.

Dick,

10.2 Except when identified, position reports are required for all aircraft in classes A, C and D airspace, and for IFR flights or flights using the IFR Pick-up procedure after initial contact with ATC in classes E and G airspace.
I suggest that if you are confused by this text, you have it amended. And if the CEO of Airservices thinks that we should be doing position reports in E when Radar identified, then I suggest that that would be grounds to scrap the whole silly idea of E airspace and revert to C, where everybody knows where everybody is and is separated. None of this silly "looking out the window" as the primary means of separation. I wonder if A380 pilots have VFR TCAS targets displayed on their HUDs?

VFR flights operating in Class E airspace should monitor the Class E frequency and announce if in potential conflict with another aircraft … If a pilot determines that the aircraft is in potential conflict with another aircraft, the pilot should acknowledge by transmitting own call-sign and as appropriate, aircraft type, position, actual level and intentions
Note CONFLICT (AIP words) is not VICINITY (your words).

For what it's worth, I think E airspace sucks, always has and always will. GET RID OF IT and get out of the dark ages. And I do apologise: I am not particularly experienced in E operations: we got rid of it (well, most of it) some time ago.

Next?