PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More on UK Pilot Imports
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 14:22
The Guvnor

Timber and Flugpants you're both right - that's why I said that we need to make a distinction between those countries such as New Zealand, Australia, Canada, points in South America etc where we can freely send our aircraft and crews to cover their peak seasons and in return we get theirs to help cover our peaks - and those such as the United States for whom it's a one way street.

However, in terms of legislation, this is one of the bargaining chips being used by the British government as part of the Bermuda II talks. Rather more direct action needs to be taken in the meantime, in my opinion.

Next, when it comes to BALPA it's a fact that they have done very little on the flagging out issue. Could this be because BA have told them to wind their necks in as they are using the ATLAS 747s?? And yes, Timber, unlike BALPA the IPA has done something about it!!

Finally, Flugpants - it's not so much the registration costs (£100 for your average airliner); it's the certification/C of A costs that are the expensive bit! I seem to remember that Air 2000/Canada 3000 used to swap 757s back and forth every year on the UK and Canadian registers without problem, though.

I should add that if anyone wants to see who is operating foreign aircraft in the UK; or using foreign aircraft on charters from the UK, you just have to look in the CAA's Official Record Series 2 which is available here: Official Record Series 2
and go to Part 5. Note that it's updated on a wekly basis.

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: The Guvnor ]