PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2008, 16:02
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's why

Thank you for the (two) replies. The reason I asked the question is that I've been on one of the trial days at T5. Prior to going I'd been reading comments from BA and the BAA about new processes and a better experience so I was really hopeful.

Now, I have to admit that (a) the building is not yet complete and (b) I'm an old cynic. That said, I was disappointed. Yes, it's a nice new building and in many places it's light (in daylight!) and airy. But it's difficult to tell whether that's because of the lack of passengers - I can't help feeling that in full flow it's not going to be a big bit better than any of the other terminals. The processes haven't really changed - more self service (which for me isn't a substitute for service) and "fast bag drop" (is it really "fast"?), The search areas seem to be big enough to cope *provided* they man them. There's the stupidity of having to go through the biometric processing if you're on a domestic flight or connection which means a two stage process at the gate.

One of the lounges (Silver/Club?) was open yesterday and seemed quite nice (but it's up two escalators).

Plenty of shopping and eating options (I noticed a Wagamams which I have a liking for). What else would you expect?

The flight we "boarded" was long haul and they were experimienting with fast track signage - total failure, everyone went through the fast track! To give them their due it was experimental and I gathered that the signs used were noweher near the final design.

Generally signage is standard BAA. The flight connections signs are purple which I've not seen before. One thing I felt was a little silly was that the flight connections centre is in the A terminal. If you arrive at the B terminal and your connecting flight is also from B I didn't feel it was clear that you could stay in B if you choose to.

The baggage hall is vast but I found it quite difficult to find the exit. There is no sign projecting from the wall so if you miss the small overhead as you get off the escalator it's not easy to see where to go.

I said I am a cynic. I overheard a researcher questioning a couple of ladies about their experience. They were waxing lyrical and saying things like "there's nobody else so it's so easy and spacious". If that's reflected into their answers I can't help feeling the wrong impression will be given to BAA.