PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 6th Feb 2008, 15:55
ap9dm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are too many variables in economics and financial services to come to a simpe conclusion ... those that beat on about "doom and gloom" are pessimists, and those that ignore the indicators with rose tinted glasses are optimists.

For what it's worth, there may well be a downturn in the financial markets, but reading the impact on the aviation business is far too difficult. You know, it could even be beneficial (e.g. encouraging growth in low cost travel). The reliance on the US as the engine of global growth is somewhat alleviated with China and (to a lesser extent) India surging on. EU and UK markets are stable, interest rates are low (and likely to get lower), employment levels are high. Outrageous housing values are dropping (moderately, which they NEED to), but equity levels remain high - this points more to readjustment rather than recession to me. Perhaps we are all missing the point - it is inevitable that markets will cycle, but I would argue we are in a better position now more so than ever to manage it and ride it out. The real worry is inflation ... but even that's not out of hand ... yet!

Bear in mind, those that think it's bad - I remember the days of >10% unemployment, >10% interest rates, high inflation. But still the profession and business survived, we all did.

Too much negativity is a bad thing. It's always a gamble getting into the aviation game. But believe it or not, you can make your own good luck.