PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More on UK Pilot Imports
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 12:08
Tom East

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

If history is anything to go by, the CAA and our so called pilots reps, BALPA, will do nothing to prevent such a pilot incursion.

The UK is a very soft touch. We still have many committed, aspiring local pilots, at many different levels, trying to get noticed and maybe picked up by airlines. Air 2000 will say, like all the others, that there is a lack of experienced pilots and have no choice....catch 22 and tough for the wannabes.

A similar situation happened a few years ago with the prospect of US Air operating with its crews in the UK when BA were tied up with them. BALPA again took our money and did nothing. Then the IPA, an independant pilot union for the BALPA disaffected, highlighted the issue and for various reasons it didn't go ahead.

I have to admit being very sensitive to this issue. I was once directly effected by the influx of Australian pilots in the early 90s. Whilst I had sympathy with their plight, they took away any chance of an airline job for many years as they added to the aready crowded pool of qualified pilots swelled by Air Europe and Dan Air. Even then, there was no priority given to the UK pilots in the pool.

It took over 5 years to get an airline interview, during which time I was one of the lucky ones who just about found enough work in GA to keep going.

I now have a proper job but know that there are still quite a few pilots still looking for thier big break. They generally have a much harder time getting work overseas and have to rely on UK airlines. But, as we will no doubt see again and again, UK operators will be allowed to seek the cheaper options and import aircraft and labour from overseas. It is not just Air 2000. Virgin have Air Atlanta as well as other Gatwick based operators with their Icelandic registered imposters.

In the long term it effects us all. It will be allowed to happen again and again and we will just keep on whinging about it while our terms and conditions are eroded. We are our own worst enemies; too self interested and dis-united as a pilot work force to do anything about it. Like it or not, the US and other countries protect themselves much better than we do and we 'should' do the same.....sadly, I do not see how we will be able to do this and that makes me part of the problem.

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: Tom East ]