PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilverJet (Merged 30/05)
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2008, 11:27
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Stansdead has given a much more eloquent description of what I over-summarised !

I feel one of the key reasons BA announced their London City to New York route so unusually far in advance, well over 12 months to inauguration, is to upset things for all the various premium operators going round looking for capital. I would do the same. You can't expect in a free market to be able to start a service against an established operator and expect them not to respond. Nor to grow suddenly to multiple frequencies and routes without the capital behind the business. It's what Freddie Laker told Richard Branson in the very early Virgin Atlantic days. I think one difference is that Richard Branson actually listened and took it on board; even then he had touch-and-go times (and I'm not speaking about training flights either).

If I was a Silverjet investor I would now be saying each month "shut up about load factors and published fares, just give me actual cash in and cash out, and the rest of the Balance Sheet for the company, and I'll soon work it all out for myself". Profit is opinion, cash in the bank is fact.