PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air ambulance/ Police- winching/ onshore rescue
Old 6th Feb 2008, 09:55
sunnywa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of offending some of our UK cousins, it seems to me that having your CAA not letting (or putting up roadblocks) in fitting of winches (and thus the use of winches for life saving purposes in areas where you can't land) is extremely daft.

Around the world, civilian helicopters have been successfully winching for 50 years, and most (if not all) EMS helicopters I know of have the capability. Yes, it does cost in the installation, initial and ongoing training but if a charity/organisation wishes to pay for it, then why not. The training is not difficult and the normal crew in Oz for day and night ops is a Pilot (look at me I can hover above these trees without moving too much), a winchman and the paramedic who goes down the wire.

I am suprised the Met's new 145's are not allowed to winch or fast rope as I believed that was what they were purchased for. Doesn't the CAA realise that you don't need to be a wunderbar pilot (or crew) to do the role.

Just my point of view but I would feel a bit naked if I left my winch at home.