PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin P/A''...Thank you cabin crew for all your hard work...''
Old 6th Feb 2008, 08:58
Paxtrun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never posted on here before but there are interesting things on this thread that made me think why is it so annoying or upsetting the FD saying thanks to the cabin crew... and I think it is the fact that it stresses and reveals the power boundaries/hierarchies between FD and CC that are usually less visible... by thanking the crew the fact that the crew was at the service (or orders) of the captain becomes more visible... saying thanks becomes like a way of marking hierarchies that are otherwise disguised when that 'thanks' is not there... from the point of view of the captain it is just, I'd imagine, a gesture that reinforces solidarity and team work... like 'it's my duty to say thanks! How can I not?' but this is totally misinterpreted by the CC because, like it or not, there are power issues inside a plane and very well defined hierarchies... and CC are, like it or not, in a more fragile position for power negotiation!!

Can you tell that I'm a bloody sociologist