PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - College Streaming
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2008, 06:32
Nokio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question College Streaming

Hello to all current trainees, and everyone else too. Im starting at the college in April, course 215. Now, I know that there is a new format for the basic course, introduced at 214, but does everyone get the same basic course regardless of where they will be streamed?, or has it now been changed to two slightly differing basic courses that focus on one of the disciples, Area/Aero-Approach? I ask because some April starters have already been asked which discipline they would prefer. I was of the impression that this judgement was made by the college, dependant upon requirements, ability, and although personal preference was a factor, it was not the deciding one, and carried least weight with regards to the final decision. With the new format, is this decision now made before new trainees even get to the college? Although I understand that more 'discipline focused' basics would mean that trainees would be in a better position to tackle their chosen, or allocated disciplines, and stand a better chance of being succesful, but still, this seems to turn all previous reasoning on its head. I've been told that the Aero-Approach quota has been filled, and that its Area for me. I dont mind at all, I had'nt yet decided, thinking it a decision I'd make once at the college, but I would've liked to have the choice, rather than what seems to be, 'first called first served'. Like I said, I dont mind, probably would have gone Area, only that Aero has more scope for postings, and I'm a northerner, and although I know Aero spots are limited anyway, thought I'd at least have a puncher's chance, if thats the way I did decide eventually.
So, does this ring a bell with anyone else, with regards to how the streaming decision is made? Either way, not long now, grumble grumble, cant wait. Thanks for any replies, Nokio.

Last edited by Nokio; 6th Feb 2008 at 09:20. Reason: bloody spelling