PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Pilots to ballot for strike over OpenSkies
Old 5th Feb 2008, 22:28
biddedout

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
It has been mentioned briefly before, but where exactly do the pilots in BA’s other subsidiary company - City Flyer Mk2 stand in all this?

Under current agreements, unless the company replaces the RJ 100’s with RJ85’s (or similar), their work transfers back to Mainline two years from now. So, what will happen to those affected by this transfer of work? BACC seem quite happy to have them on the BA list, and yet the company refuses. The assumption therefore must be that in BA’s eyes, their positions will become redundant in 2010.

BA might find itself in a bit of a pickle if it tries all the usual tricks to wriggle out of its obligations to offer suitable alternative employment to these people within the group. Through various TUPE arrangements, many have 15 years or more service with their ultimate employer BA. Like it or not, BA pull the strings at CF and are ultimately responsible. The courts are likely to take a dim view if BA tries to hide behind its corporate structure and play the subsidiary game in attempt to dump workers in one part of the group at the same time as recruiting in another.

Using the selection process to avoid its responsibilities is not likely to impress either. Precedents were set when BACX cabin crew were made redundant and were offered positions in Mainline. No selection tests for them, just a token “motivational” interview (which surprise surprise, they all passed). What is good enough for them should be good enough for pilots, particularly since they have been flying BA’s aircraft since 2001. They didn’t apply for the post, they were bought by BA.

If I was a CF pilot, I would be finding myself a good employment lawyer right now and demanding that WW now states exactly what he plans for CF staff in two years time. If there is no firm plan (in writing) to delver appropriate airframes then I would be demanding my place on the BA list right now, ahead of anyone recruited into OS. I would also expect full support from BACC and BALPA HQ.

So BA, if as you appear to be insisting there is no need to rework the agreements, what exactly do you intend to do with CF and its staff? Perhaps this should be sorted out first, before charging off on another subsidiary frolic.