PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSR2 (Signed prints available.)
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2008, 15:26
EyesFront

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sent my cheque off yesterday (HP15 6DR)
The photo sounds cool...

I only saw Bee in person once - flying an SE5a from Old Warden, but a great man, who could write as well as he flew. But then he did fly some truly inspirational aeroplanes.

I was an aviation-mad schoolboy in Somerset during the TSR 2 debacle. The cancellation broke my heart, and made me politically aware... suffice to say that no labour government will ever get a vote from me!

Last year I made a couple of business trips to Ottawa, and I made a point of visiting the excellent aviation museum at Rockcliffe. It's extraordinary that the comparable Arrow affair is still an open wound there, and the museum shop is full of Arrow books, films, pictures and other memorabilia - I'm drinking tea from my Avro Arrow mug, and using my Avro Arrow mousemat as I write! Sadly, only diehard aviation enthusiasts seem to give the TSR 2 a thought in the UK; only a couple a weeks ago I had an argument with a work colleague (who should know better) who insisted that the TSR 2 was designed by Barnes Wallis and had swing wings....