PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 PAX to Sue?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2008, 12:03
JFW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the passengers were injured - one had multiple leg fractures. That person will be unable to work for several months and may lose their job as a result - he/she will certainly lose a great deal of wages. They undoubtedly have mortgage/rent to pay and if they are unable to work may lose their home. They are likely to have problems with the injuries for many years to come, possibly for life. These are significant losses and I don't see any reason why they should not seek compensation for them. I have no doubt that given the choice of the money or not having had the accident they would choose not to have had the accident.

I don't buy the argument that because they chose to travel by air they must accept the consequences. We all travel by car - does this arguement mean that we should accept the negligant driving of another driver even if he causes us an accident because we accepted the risk?

Personally I don't think the 'no-win, no-fee' culture has anything to do with it. If the lawyer thinks that they are at risk of not being paid for taking on a risky case, then chances are they won't take the case on. Ever seen a lawyer who doesn't mind whether they get paid or not?