PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nppl Changes!
Thread: Nppl Changes!
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2008, 11:46
bar shaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In saying that microlights have kept chipping away at the weight limit shows that BEagle has a very limited knowledge of the class. There has only been one weight limit increase in modern times, from 390kg to 450kg MAUW and this was to harmonise UK microlights with those in Europe.

In actual fact, European microlights are generally heavier than UK versions as they use a different reserve figure for pilot and fuel weight in the MAUW calculation.

When looking at the safety of UK microlight pilots, we are amongst the safest in the world and are better than most countries that have mandatory training requirements.

The NPPL P&SG cannot show a reason for revalidation changes to be imposed on microlight NPPL owners, other than saying 'because we have to do it in GA'. That's not a good enough reason and certainly not a reason to change the licenses of 90% of NPPL holders.

I am all for encouraging on-going training, I am not for mandating it. Neither were the CAA Microlight Panel of Examiners, but their views were also ignored by the P&SG when they officially rejected the need for on-going training. Consider that the panel is made up from the most experienced microlight instructors in the UK.

And I am certainly not for letting someone legally fly a light aircraft with only 1 hour on the class in the previous 2 years. The NPPL P&SG proposals contain this exact change. How can that be safe?

To say that responders expressing the same views as others were part of a concerted effort to influence the committee is arrogance beyond belief. Why would anyone respond to an RIA if not to influence the outcome?

Should all signatures, after the first one, be discounted on a petition?

Microlights are the only growth sector in European aviation. The jealousy and and hatred of them in BEagle's post (how Gucci is my aircraft?) shows that he is certainly not fit to decide on how microlight pilots should be licensed. How the CAA could have allowed 6 organisations representing 10% of license holders to rule over 1 organisation representing 90%, is a question that needs answering. UK microlights and their pilots are amongst the very heaviest regulated in Europe. Do not be surprised if they do not want yet more regulation.

The NPPL proposals are a serious erosion of microlight freedoms and this is not over yet.